This Week in Ma On Shan:
On Friday I had my first interview with the new mission president, President Chan. He and Sister Chan are awesome! While my comp was in for his interview I talked with Sister Chan, trying to work on my Cantonese a little, and she was so patient with me and helped me. She's trying to learn English too. A couple week ago we had a zone conference and President and Sister Chan came and Sister Chan said that she will try her best to be a good mom to us. haha She's so awesome!
So a couple awesome miracles happened this week. The other day we wanted to go less active finding, so we were planning on just stopping by at there apartments without calling first. And in Hong Kong you usually can't do that because the guards at the apartments won't let you in without the resident's permission. But most of them just let us up if we promised not to Pohk Muhn (knock on doors). So we promised and we were able to find out a lot about some of our less actives, whether they moved or are still interested or whatever. Anyway form what my comp and everyone else tells me, that never happens in Hong Kong. And the other awesome miracle was on Sunday. Our investigator, John, told us that he wouldn't be able to make it to church that day because he had something going on. We really didn't want him to not come because he has a baptism date on the 25th of this month and he needs to be going to church. Anyway, my comp and I were really stressing on Sunday and we tried to call him but he didn't answer. So in the middle of priesthood (in this ward we have Priesthood, Gospel Principles, and then Sacrament Meeting) John walked in. Miracles happen everyday. I'm seeing them out here and I know that they are there at home too if you just look for positive things everyday and not the negative.
On Tuesday we had Mission Conference. Here we have mission conference once every move (transfer). We got to go up to the peak which was really cool because usually you only get to go up twice on your mission. Once on your first day in Hong Kong and again on your last day. So we were all excited. President and Sister Chan spoke as well as the Temple president and his wife. Today on July 16th is the 60th anniversary for the opening of the China Hong Kong Mission. So at mission conference they talked a lot about the history of the mission. It was really awesome. After we had Hot Dogs (not too common in Hong Kong) and Capri Suns (they don't even exist in Hong Kong). haha So it was fun having an American meal again. haha Most of the native missionaries didn't know what a Capri Sun was so they would come up to me and ask. It was pretty funny but i probably look the same way when I look Yakult (a weird drink they have here that tastes like yogurt but liquid) haha
Yesterday we went on exchanges. My comp is the district leader so he has to go on exchanges with everyone in the district once a move (transfer). So I went with one of the Mandarin Elders (in Hong Kong there are three missions, kind of. The main one is Cantonese speaking. Then they have Mandarin and International which is English speaking. I most likely will have a chance to go to international at some point in my mission. It's just because there are so many Philippians and English people here so they have a branch for them too.) Anyway I went with Elder So for the day. He's a Buhn Deih (Native) so he speaks Cantonese too. So we were able to teach a lot of people, Cantonese and Mandarin. He's such a cool Elder. You'll probably see him in pictures that I will be sending home.
Anyway this email is huge and I need to go so I love you all and hope you have a wonderful week. I'm off to buy some cheep ties. =) haha
Love, Elder McAllister
On Friday I had my first interview with the new mission president, President Chan. He and Sister Chan are awesome! While my comp was in for his interview I talked with Sister Chan, trying to work on my Cantonese a little, and she was so patient with me and helped me. She's trying to learn English too. A couple week ago we had a zone conference and President and Sister Chan came and Sister Chan said that she will try her best to be a good mom to us. haha She's so awesome!
So a couple awesome miracles happened this week. The other day we wanted to go less active finding, so we were planning on just stopping by at there apartments without calling first. And in Hong Kong you usually can't do that because the guards at the apartments won't let you in without the resident's permission. But most of them just let us up if we promised not to Pohk Muhn (knock on doors). So we promised and we were able to find out a lot about some of our less actives, whether they moved or are still interested or whatever. Anyway form what my comp and everyone else tells me, that never happens in Hong Kong. And the other awesome miracle was on Sunday. Our investigator, John, told us that he wouldn't be able to make it to church that day because he had something going on. We really didn't want him to not come because he has a baptism date on the 25th of this month and he needs to be going to church. Anyway, my comp and I were really stressing on Sunday and we tried to call him but he didn't answer. So in the middle of priesthood (in this ward we have Priesthood, Gospel Principles, and then Sacrament Meeting) John walked in. Miracles happen everyday. I'm seeing them out here and I know that they are there at home too if you just look for positive things everyday and not the negative.
On Tuesday we had Mission Conference. Here we have mission conference once every move (transfer). We got to go up to the peak which was really cool because usually you only get to go up twice on your mission. Once on your first day in Hong Kong and again on your last day. So we were all excited. President and Sister Chan spoke as well as the Temple president and his wife. Today on July 16th is the 60th anniversary for the opening of the China Hong Kong Mission. So at mission conference they talked a lot about the history of the mission. It was really awesome. After we had Hot Dogs (not too common in Hong Kong) and Capri Suns (they don't even exist in Hong Kong). haha So it was fun having an American meal again. haha Most of the native missionaries didn't know what a Capri Sun was so they would come up to me and ask. It was pretty funny but i probably look the same way when I look Yakult (a weird drink they have here that tastes like yogurt but liquid) haha
Yesterday we went on exchanges. My comp is the district leader so he has to go on exchanges with everyone in the district once a move (transfer). So I went with one of the Mandarin Elders (in Hong Kong there are three missions, kind of. The main one is Cantonese speaking. Then they have Mandarin and International which is English speaking. I most likely will have a chance to go to international at some point in my mission. It's just because there are so many Philippians and English people here so they have a branch for them too.) Anyway I went with Elder So for the day. He's a Buhn Deih (Native) so he speaks Cantonese too. So we were able to teach a lot of people, Cantonese and Mandarin. He's such a cool Elder. You'll probably see him in pictures that I will be sending home.
Anyway this email is huge and I need to go so I love you all and hope you have a wonderful week. I'm off to buy some cheep ties. =) haha
Love, Elder McAllister





No comments:
Post a Comment